Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Smashing a Digital Camera!

 

I never thought I'd smash a digital camera since my whole use of them has always been by "walking on eggshells" trying to be extra careful not to damage them... BUT Franny asked me to make a brooch for her good friend a photographer, so I took an "old" digital camera places it on my stainless steel kitchen island and whacked it until I got the pieces I wanted :) I ended up making her the "Bee brooch" as I call it. The photo under the glass bead is of my grandmother as a child sitting with her parents. I also used an exposed film strip. My favorite part though is the bee... Like a bee to a flower a photographer is a to a picture, this bee is made out of the lens of the camera... smaller and thicker than I thought it would be... it sticks out about an inch from the flower on a red spring bobbing and floating waiting to get a good shot!

So, after I had harvested the lens it seemed an awful waist to just throw out the rest... so I made two additional brooches for Franny. The "Green Screen", made of the LCD screen and memory chip, and the "Dial Flower" that has the settings dial as the center of the flower.

So, my advice to anyone about to make something, don't be afraid to break that thought in your mind that tells you not to break "expensive" stuff... you just might end up with some beautiful pieces of art.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment